Lytham Market Square
The Lytham Commissioners, built the Market Hall at a cost of
over £1,000 in 1872 and promptly claimed the tower for their offices. The Market was not the expected success it
was built for, so the premises were converted into shops in the 1890s,, though still retaining the name of
There was, in the Market Square, Lady Eleanor Cecily's
water-fountain, placed there as a memorial to her husband, John Talbot Clifton, after his death in 1872. Lady
Cecily also added a clock above The Market Hall in 1872. This fountain was eventually to be placed in Sparrow Park,
when the Market Square site was required to contain the Cenotaph in 1922.