The Pier, which was designed by Eugenius Birch as the first
pleasure attraction in Lytham, was opened by Lady Eleanor
Cecily Clifton on 17 April 1865. It was 914 feet long and with
continuous seating and gas lighting all along its deck. At first there only a lounge and waiting room at the
pier-head, to serve the passengers for the pleasure steamers docking there, but in 1892, at a cost of
£12,000, the Pavilion was built half way along the
In 1895 the Pier Company collapsed, but when it reformed it
enlarged the Pavilion in 1901 and converted the bandstand at the pier-head into the Floral
In 1903, a storm sent two steel-hulled barges away from their
mooring and crashing through the pier. These two sand barges were owned by Preston Navigation Company who
paid for the £1,400 repair bill, following a court case.
The pier fell into disrepair following a fire in 1928 when the
pavilion was burnt out. In 1959, and in spite of a residents' petition of 2,593 signatures, the Town Council
refused to pay the £5,000 needed to save it, and so it was demolished in 1960.