History and Information Archive
This section of the website is dedicated to providing local history
and information on the windmill and the Fylde area in general.
The following is based on information, much of which is available for viewing
within the Museum.
- History of the Mill
Windmills have featured in Lytham’s history for hundreds of years. In 1805 Richard Cookson sought and obtained a lease from the Squire for a plot of land on which to build a ‘windy milne’.
Later, in 1860, when the prestigious houses in the area were being built the residents looked upon the Windmill as an “industrial nuisance”!
On the 2nd January 1919, a tremendous gale turned the sales despite the powerful brake and sparks ignited the woodwork. The Windmill was quickly ravaged by fire, the interior being entirely gutted.
The Windmill remained derelict until 1921, when it was given by the Squire to the Lytham Urban District Council. In 1989, the Windmill was restored by Fylde Borough Council and opened to the public. Lytham Windmill is run in partnership with Fylde Borough Council and Lytham Heritage Group.
- Learn About Lytham
Learn about Lytham
- History of Lytham
A history of early Lytham based on exhibition panels within the museum;
1000AD to 1350AD includes the Domesday Book Entry and Lytham Priory;
1500AD to 1750AD includes the establishment of Letham Hall;
1750AD to 1850AD includes the introduction of Bathing Tourism and the Railway;
1850AD to 1925AD includes the development of Transportation and the joining of Lytham and St Annes;
a series of Lytham postcards.
- The Mill and Its Workings
A description of "How the Mill Works" written by Marilyn Adams including:
the gearing system,
the grain feed system.
- The Threshing Machine and its Operation
The Threshing Machine and its Operation