Churches and Chapels
St Cuthbert's Church of England Parish Church on Church Road is the third
church of this name to be built on the site since the founding of the Parish during the 12th century. It was built
in 1834, at a cost of £1,600.
St Peter's Roman Catholic Church, at the junction of Clifton Street and Station Road,
was built in 1839. Prior to this, Roman Catholics had to worship at Lytham Hall in a little chapel too small for so
great a congregation. The church was recently altered to create a centre aisle in addition to the winged
St John's Parish Church on East Beach, facing the windmill, was built in 1849. It has been
for many years the Lifeboat men's church. The vicar of St John's is Chaplain to the crew.
The Congregational Church, on Bannister Street, opposite Lytham Police Station, was built in
1852. It is now known as the United Reformed Church.
The Methodist Chapel, in Park Street, was built in 1868 to replace the much smaller chapel in
Bath Street, behind the Queen's Hotel. When first erected it was known as the Wesleyan Chapel.